Any dentist, along with everyone at our Lawrenceville dental office, will tell you that one of the most gratifying, tear-jerking moments we have doing what we do is when someone’s smile and life is improved, and they become more confident. One of the areas of dental care that allow us the tools and treatments to complete this kind of transformation is cosmetic dentistry. There are so many special ways it can be used to fix or enhance your teeth. Let’s learn a little more about cosmetic dentistry and all it has to offer you.
Can Any Dentist Do Cosmetic Dentistry?
The answer to this question is generally, yes. However, some dentists are more qualified and trained to handle cosmetic cases compared to their dental peers. If you’re considering any cosmetic change to your smile, it’s always a good idea to check out your options if you don’t have a dentist in Lawrenceville.
The American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry says you’ll want to check out these three things while you’re researching a dentist or an office that’s the right fit for you:
1) Before & After Shots – Any dentist who’s proud of their cosmetic cases should have some good before and after photos for you to see so that you can compare results. They’re usually available on most dental office websites and will tell you what kind of work a patient has had done so you can decide if you’d like to learn more about a specific procedure.
2) Continuing Education – You can always find out if a dentist or dental team you’re considering is up-to-date with the latest treatment techniques and technology. There are so many innovations and changes that occur within cosmetic dentistry as the years’ progress, so it’s important to know what’s available and how to put it to good use.
3) References – Checking patient testimonials or reading online reviews can be helpful if you’re looking to find a cosmetic dentist that provides the services you need with office hours that work for you.
Common Cosmetic Dentistry Procedures
Some cosmetic dentists offer a wider variety of services than others, so it’s best to know what you’re considering having done. These are just a few of the most popular cosmetic dental treatments available today, across the country:
- Veneers – Most people know of or have at least heard about dental veneers. They can take your teeth from drab to Hollywood-worthy in just a short amount of time. Veneers are usually made of porcelain or plastic and are very thin. Your dentist places them over the front of your teeth for an immediate upgrade to the shape and color of your smile. Veneers can help you say goodbye to unevenly spaced, chipped, broken, or discolored teeth.
- Crowns – You also might know these cosmetic dentistry solutions by another name called caps. We can use crowns to help fix deteriorating teeth by covering your tooth for better appearance and function. They tend to have the longest life expectancy compared to other popular cosmetic restorations.
- Bonding – This tooth-colored material is expertly placed on teeth to help them be more uniform and free from gaps or discolorations. Slightly decayed or chipped teeth can often be fixed with bonding because it can cover the entire surface of your tooth for a change in shape and color.
- Whitening – Teeth whitening is probably the most widely recognized cosmetic dental treatment because it’s something we can do in the dentist’s office or the comfort of our own home. This can help lighten and brighten your smile for any big occasion.
We hope you’ve learned a little something about cosmetic dentistry today. If you’re considering making a change to your smile, please don’t hesitate to talk to your Lawrenceville dentist to find out what treatments would work for you. Maybe it’s time to boost your smile and your confidence?
Our dental office in Lawrenceville understands that losing or breaking a filling can be scary. It may even be a a little painful. But many times a lost filling isn’t a dental emergency. However, with that said, it’s still important to treat it appropriately and in a timely manner. We’re here to walk you through the steps you should take if you do lose a filling and what you can do to help protect yourself.
- Pick Up the Phone
The very first thing you should do if you lose or break a filling is call your dentist in Lawrenceville. Explain what happened, any symptoms you have, and if you’re in any pain. Sometimes our dental office has appointments available and may be able to see you the same day. If not, make sure you get the earliest appointment possible. If left untreated, a lost filling can result in more decay and damage.
During the appointment your dental team will examine the area and check for any other damage. They’ll then make a recommendation for the best treatment for you. Treatment may be another filling or it could be a dental crown. If the area is large, a crown is usually the treatment of choice.
- Take it Easy
While you’re waiting for your appointment you should try your best to avoid chewing on the side of your mouth where the filling once was. This can help keep food and bacteria out of the space left by the filling.
- Clean it Well, Clean it Often
After you do eat, rinse your mouth out with warm salt water to rinse away any lingering food particles. You can also gently brush the area with a toothbrush if it doesn’t cause pain.
- Take Some Medicine
Pain reliever can work wonders in relieving any sensitivity or discomfort that may come along with losing a filling. Use what typically works best for you and follow the dosage instructions on the label.
- Try Temporary Filler
Many pharmacies carry temporary filling material made with zinc oxide. Using this to block up the gap in your tooth will not only help keep food out, but can ease pain too. Just remember that this is a temporary fix.
Even though dental fillings are incredibly strong and can last for years, sometimes things happen that can cause them to fall out. If this happens, don’t wait to call our Lawrenceville dental office to schedule an appointment.
Whether due to aging, smoking, or drinking too much tooth-staining tea, there are plenty of things that can cause our pearly whites to be, well… not so white. If you’re one of the many people who are trying to score a whiter smile by using whitening toothpastes, our dental office in Lawrenceville wants you to read on…
3 Pros of Whitening Toothpaste
There can be some benefits using whitening toothpaste. Some of these positives may include:
- Effective Removal of Surface Stains. Most whitening toothpastes can effectively scrub away surface stains. So far, the stuff looks pretty good.
- Easy to Use. If you can use regular toothpaste, you can use a whitening toothpaste. Just dab a little on your toothbrush and gently brush twice a day.
- Most Affordable Option. At just a few bucks a tube, whitening toothpaste is appealing to many who are trying to get a whiter smile.
3 Cons of Whitening Toothpaste
However, using a whitening toothpaste isn’t all positive. While it may be effective, easy to use, and fairly cheap, there are also some disadvantages including:
- It Takes a Long Time to See Results. A key part of making whitening toothpaste work is using it regularly. This means brushing with it twice a day, every day. Even then it could take weeks to see a change in color.
- Could Cause More Harm Than Good. Whitening toothpastes are packed with abrasive ingredients. That’s another part of what makes it work. But it’s also what can cause damage. The abrasive texture of whitening toothpastes can wear away enamel, leaving teeth at risk for decay and sensitivity. Thinner enamel can also cause teeth to appear darker, which really isn’t the look we were going for.
- It May Not Work for You. Sometimes tooth staining goes deeper than the surface, making whitening toothpastes essentially ineffective. But don’t panic. Cosmetic dentistry such as dental veneers can still transform your smile.
Alternatives to Whitening Toothpaste
Even though whitening toothpaste tends to be the go-to option for getting a whiter smile, there are other things you can do to help get, and keep, your teeth pearly white.
- After drinking tea or coffee, rinse your mouth out with water.
- Stop smoking or using chewing tobacco.
- Eat more apples, cheese, or celery to gently rub away potential stains.
- Consider a professional smile whitening from your dentist in Lawrenceville.
The best way to whiten your smile depends on several things, and there is no one solution that’s right for everyone. To find out what will help get you a whiter smile, we welcome you to schedule an appointment our Lawrenceville dental office.
Not everyone is lucky enough to have naturally straight, white, healthy teeth. Often times things like aging, genetics, or even accidents can affect their appearance and make people want to hide their smiles from the world. But fortunately, nobody needs to live with a smile they don’t really like. With cosmetic dentistry from our dental office in Lawrenceville, we can transform any smile into one you love and are proud to show off.
What is Cosmetic Dentistry?
Cosmetic dentistry is the term used to explain a number of dental treatments that are effective at not only enhancing the appearance of a smile, but can also aid in maintaining proper function. Cosmetic dentistry treatments can fix a number of common dental concerns including:
- Crooked teeth
- Discolored teeth
- Chipped or cracked teeth
- A gummy smile
Which Cosmetic Dentistry Treatment is Right for You?
While there numerous forms of cosmetic dentistry available, the same solution isn’t appropriate for everyone, even if their concerns are similar. Sometimes the recommended treatment for one person’s crooked teeth is different from what’s right for their friend, for example. Let’s look at some common cosmetic dentistry treatments and explore the variety of problems they can solve.
Tooth Whitening – Just like the name suggests, professional tooth whitening transforms a dull or discolored smile into a bright, white, dazzling grin.
Composite Bonding – Perfect for several dental problems, composite bonding can help fix chips, cracks, crookedness, and discoloration.
Porcelain Veneers – Similarly to bonding, veneers cover the tooth surface and correct staining, chips, and breaks, and straighten smiles. They’re also successful at changing the shape of individual teeth.
Smile Makeovers – A complete smile transformation comes in the form of a smile makeover. Smile makeovers allow your dentist in Lawrenceville to combine several cosmetic dentistry treatments to achieve your dream smile.
If you’re ready to fall in love with your smile, give our Lawrenceville dental office a call to schedule an appointment today. We’ll talk about the aspects of your teeth that you aren’t crazy about and discuss the best treatment options to give you a smile you’re proud of.
Accepting patients from Lawrenceville, Hamilton, and surrounding areas.